Tuesday 14 June 2011

Lets hope this week is better!!

Well, last week was waay too stressful for my liking. Unfortunately over the weekend we lost two rats, both within 24 hours. Needless to say I wasn't much in the mood for anything.
Thankfully it's over, and we still have four others, we are busy now trying to get my two to get on with the babies, in the hope that eventually they'll all be able to live together!! It didn't go too bad last night, I've seen intro's go a lot worse!

I finally managed to finish the roof on the well of 'Make a wish' I have a picture to upload.
Have to go back to work today, got another day off tomorrow and then I have to nip back in for a meeting, so not too bad.

I'm not even half way done with this project and I'm already thinking about what I can do next. There are lots of small ideas in my cross stitch magazines, there are some baby-themed letters and numbers which I'd like to stitch and maybe just keep in a box, to make into cards or something, or just because they are cute designs, and I think it'd be nice to do something small after this one!!

Here's a pic of my progress so far.





I watched an interesting programme on assisted suicide, it's something I've always been in two minds about...Human beings have reasoning etc, yet a lot of the time when people come to the end of their life there appears to be a lot of suffering involved. However, if it's an animal, as hard as the decision may be, as responsible and loving owners we understand that we eventually have to make that call. Why should we not be able to make that decision for ourselves, when we feel the time is right? Currently it's illegal in this country and carries a prison sentence. But if you knew you had a terminal illness and you were going to be in a lot of pain at the end, wouldn't you want to go quietly and peacefully at a time of your choosing? I like to think I would, but I don't know if I'd have the courage to hasten things and leave everyone behind. I certainly couldn't help someone else do it, I guess that just shows that I'm as selfish as most people. My dad always had an interesting point. He'd say that when people cried at funerals, they weren't crying for the person that's died, they were crying for themselves. At first I didn't quite get what he meant, and he explained it like this. He said 'what's the point, that person has died and is free of any pain or suffering they had on this earth, it should be celebrated that the person had a good life and is now at peace.'

It took me a long time to understand that, but in my previous job caring for the elderly at the end of their life, I eventually began to see what he meant. Obviously, it never got easier when someone you'd cared for passed away, but I did eventually begin to find a small sense of the positive when someone passed away. The fact that often, they were very old, and had the chance to get married, have children and grand-children, to live a long and relatively happy life.
One thing I noticed, a lot of old people don't fear it. I think you get to a certain age and you just realise that of course this life isn't forever.

I find it far more upsetting when a child or someone in the prime of their life dies, because they haven't had a chance to live yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment